domingo, 20 de diciembre de 2009

5 books every Mexican has to read

Starting from the fifth.
5.“The years with Laura Diaz” by Carlos Fuentes. For me Carlos Fuentes is the best Mexican author alive. It was difficult to chose just one of his books but I wanted to chose only one book by author. I chose this book because Laura (the story's main character) witnesses many of the important moments in Mexican history from the Mexican Revolution at the beginning of the XX century to the students conflict with the government in 1968. I think this book is a great way to learn Mexican history and at the same time enjoy a nice story.
4.”The underdogs” by Mariano Azuela. Because every Mexican has to read a novel about the Mexican Revolution and this is The novel about the Mexican Revolution.
3.“Silence is strong” by Elena Poniatowska. This is a non fiction book by a renown Mexican journalist and author. The book is a series of articles about injustices, the story of the people who suffer them and how they fight to get justice. This book showed me the real face of oppressed people in Mexico and that there are people that stand with them and fight with them just because they care.
2.“Pedro Paramo” by Juan Rulfo. Mexicans have a special relationship with death so I though I should include a book about that topic. Besides this book is considered by many people as the best hispanic modern novel so it's worth to find out why.
1. “The labyrinth of solitude” by Octavio Paz. I chose this book not because its author is the only Mexican literature Nobel laureate but because it says so much about who we are and what our culture is. This book is so deep it told me things about me I didn't even knew before I read it. For me reading this book was like looking at me in the mirror really up close. It was scary but necessary to really know who I am.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario